Lupus is an autoimmune disorder due to the dysfunction of your immune system. In this infection, your immune system starts attacking your body tissues instead of protecting them. This can lead to long-term or permanent damage to your tissues and illness. There are around 5 types of lupus that happen in the human body.
They are Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), Cutaneous, Neonatal, Lupus nephritis, and Drug-induced lupus. Of all these lupus, SLE is the most common one. If you want more details about it, go through the blog below.
Symptoms Of Lupus Infection
The symptoms that might appear in your body when suffering from lupus can vary from person to person. But a few symptoms are common in the body of every person, tissue damage and illness. Some of the symptoms that the patients reports are-
- You might notice a high fever in your body which almost stays above 100 degrees F.
- Your joints might also hurt when suffering from the infection. The issue is also known as arthralgia.
- You will notice continuous tiredness in your body due to the issue without doing much work. Sometimes its severity increases which decreases your will power of doing any task.
- Swollen joints, a symptom of arthritis, also happen commonly in the body.
- You will be cold and stressed when suffering from this infection. This might also change the color of your finger to purple or pale.
- Seizures also happen in your body when suffering from lupus.
- Many people report the problem of hair loss when suffering from lupus.
- When a person breathes deeper, they might notice some pain in their chest. It is also a symptom of lupus.
- Mouth and nose sores also happen in your body due to the infection.
- Lupus is going to make your body sensitive to skin and light.
- Malar rash might also happen in your body when you have lupus. In this, a butterfly-shaped rash appears on your cheeks and nose.
- Swelling in your ankle also happens due to lupus.
- Common rashes might also appear on your skin as a symptom of lupus.
Not all of them need to occur in your body all at once. But you will notice at least a few of them in your body.
Causes Of Infection
We know lupus is an autoimmune disease that affects the body due to the immune system. The immune system starts attacking your body’s tissues, leading to inflammation and several dysfunctions in the body. But there might be a few unclear reasons behind this immune system dysfunction. They are-
- It might happen in your body due to genes. If your parents or grandparents have lupus, the chances of it happening in your body are high. But it is not necessary in 100% of cases. Sometimes one child of an identical twin might suffer from the issue, and the other doesn’t.
- Sometimes hormones can also be a reason behind lupus. For example, when estrogen levels are high in the female body, then the issue might increase. Also, the chance of lupus in women is much higher compared to males.
- Sometimes the external environment can also cause lupus in your body. Such factors include cigarette smoking, silica, UV rays, mercury, stress, etc.
- Sometimes medicines like hydralazine can also be a reason behind lupus. In this case, you will stop seeing the symptoms after using that medicine.
Complications That Might Occur
If you have lupus, a few complications might happen in your body. Some of them are-
- When lupus becomes severe, then it will cause large blisters. These can be painful and commonly happen on your arms, legs, and torso. Sometimes scars also form on your skin which is large, circular, and red. When they come in contact with sunlight, the issue becomes severe.
- Pain and swelling in your joints are very common. It will lead to stiffness, making walking and movement difficult. Sometimes the issue becomes permanent which makes it more severe.
- The infection can also decrease the blood composition by decreasing the count of RBC, WBC, and platelets. It can cause serious infections like anemia, bruising, excess fatigue, etc.
- Statistics show that 50% or more people with lupus also have kidney problems. You might face problems while urinating, which can give rise to various problems.
How To Diagnose The Lupus Infection?
To diagnose it and its type, a physician can see a checklist. There are 11 criteria in that checklist that show you have lupus. Those 11 criteria are-
- An immunological disorder in your body.
- Inflammation around your lungs and heart in the protective covering.
- Kidney issues like extra protein in your urine
- Ulcers in your mouth or open sores
- Patchy rash
- Malar rash
- Photosensitivity to sun and UV rays
- Blood disorder
- Unusual blood work
- Issues with the nervous system
If a physician notices a few issues from the checklist, they will order an antinuclear antibody test. When the body starts working against your tissues, the number of antibodies in your body will increase.
Treatment Of The Issue
Following are the treatment for the lupus infection in your body-
- A person can use Hydroxychloroquine medicine to suppress the problem. The medicine will not let the immune system attack your tissues, which will help you get over the symptoms. Hydroxychloroquine comes in two different doses Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg and Hydroxychloroquine 400 mg. Use this medicine for mild lupus symptoms
- If the problem is severe, use CellCept or Cytoxan medicine.
- A person can also use Benylysta medicine, a biological mimicry of natural proteins that weaken their immune system.
- A person can also use steroid cream when the infection is limited to rashes. Adjust the dose and application of steroids as per the signs in your body.
Some home remedies that you can apply in case of lupus are-
- You should add low-impact exercise to your schedule to keep your muscle strong and flexible.
- You should change your diet and shift to a balanced diet. You should also stop using alcohol and cigarettes, which can be a root problem.
- You should use sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses and decrease your direct contact with the sun.
- Vitamins and supplements can also help you improve your overall health and decrease your symptoms.